[OpenAFS-port-darwin] configuring openafs under MacOS 10

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v+@andrew.cmu.edu
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:13:32 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from internet.computing.openafs.port-darwin: 2-Jun-101
[OpenAFS-port-darwin] confi.. by Garance A Drosihn@rpi.ed
> First, let me say I was very happily impressed to see that
> work on OpenAFS for MacOS 10 was so far along that it had
> an official installer.
an installer is available because the install tools are readily
accessible and reasonably easy to use, and because it is desirable for
people other than unix-aware users to be able to use afs (not that that
ideal has been reached yet. I'm not a GUI programmer, and no one has yet
volunteered to work on the control panel equivalent, which will be
oh-so-much-fun to write even for someone who is a GUI programmer)

> One question I had was why the installer put the changes in
> /System/Library/StartupItems instead of /Library/StartupItems.
It's because /Library/StartupItems doesn't exist, and SystemStarter has
no documentation that I could find. Therefore, the safest thing for me
to assume was that it only looks in /System
> Isn't /System for "Apple-only" things?
Perhaps that is claimed, but at the very least, all extensions that are
loaded automatically (rather than by applications) must go in
/System/Library/Extensions