[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Kernel panics with OpenAFS and Mac OS X 10.2

Alexei Kosut akosut@stanford.edu
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:37:04 -0700

Has anyone else experienced kernel panics using the current version of
OpenAFS with Mac OS X 10.2?  I am able to get OpenAFS 1.2.6 running
with only a few small tweaks to the rc script, and for the most part
it seems to work fine, except when I work with directories that have a
lot of files or subdirectories (which, annoyingly, includes my home
directory).  For example, the following reliably crashes my iMac (no
AFS token is required):

> cd /afs/ir.stanford.edu/users/a/k/akosut
> \ls
> cat public/hello.txt

Immediately after displaying the file, I get a kernel panic with the
message "ubc_rele: ui_refcount".  My guess is that listing a large
enough directory causes something to be disrupted such that a file
being closed can trigger the panic.

Has anyone experienced this, or have any suggestions for how to fix
it?  My Darwin kernel experience is, unfortunately, not significant
enough to be able to solve this problem.

--
Alexei Kosut <akosut@cs.stanford.edu> <http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~akosut/>