[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: Newbie Question

Jonathan Z. Simon jzsimon@eng.umd.edu
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:43:28 -0400

I found the UNC guide extremely helpful in getting openafs up and
running.

I wrote a csh script that automates some of the steps in the UNC guide
below. It changes the uid of a user via NetInfo (actually niutils) and
it uses find to update the necessary file uids.

[It does not require a root account (I prefer to do everything via
sudo), it does a moderate amount of error checking (does the user exist?
is the new uid already in use? are you trying to change the account from
which you are working from? etc.), and it echoes an example of how to
change files on non-root partitions.]

I've put it at http://www.isr.umd.edu/~jzsimon/afs/changeUpdateUID and I
hope it's useful for someone out there (comments are welcome).

Finally, Bil, I have one important comment about your afs-macosX help
page: The line

cp -pR  /Users/<old Mac username>/*   /Users/<onyen>

is very dangerous on a typical Mac OS X account, because it will mangle
files that have resource forks (including any alias files) by ignoring
the resource fork completely.  You should strongly consider using "CpMac
-r -p" or "ditto -rsrc" instead.

Unfortunately neither of of these  options is a drop-in replacement for
cp. CpMac doesn't maintain creation & modification dates (it maintains
permissions whenever I use it, but there are claims on the web that it
doesn't always do that). ditto is much more intelligent, but it will
merger directories rather than just copy them, so it requires an extra
step of removing any files that are already present. For a good
discussion see
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/07/02/terminal_5.html

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Z. Simon
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering/Dept. of Biology