[OpenAFS-port-darwin] AFS as OS X home directory

Steve Lidie sol0@Lehigh.EDU
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 19:22:25 -0500

On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 05:37 PM, Ragnar Sundblad wrote:

> --On den 3 december 2002 16:20 -0600 Matt Elliott
> <melliott@ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Our user directory is up to 5500 entries.  A few more years and we may
>> reach 10k.  I'd say it probably isn't that uncommon.
>
> I meant having all the users flat in one directory, not sure
> what you mean. Maybe it isn't uncommon, if so there is even
> more reason to try to fix it. I guess it is an unpleasent
> experience even with ls -F and everything else that stats.
>
> We have some 22K users, but not more than a few hundred in each
> /home/X-directory. Others use more levels of directories.

I'd be interested in learning about your directory hierarchy scheme ...
Also, does it really "fix/alleviate" the OS X file dialog slowness
problem?

Thanks, as usual,

Steve

FWIW, here is a count of home directories broken down by first letter,
as we currently have:

a           990
b           536
c           916