[OpenAFS-port-darwin] pioctl failed?

Ragnar Sundblad ragge@nada.kth.se
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:09:56 +0100

--On den 22 januari 2002 15:35 -0500 Aaron Rosenblum <arosenbl@mac.com>
wrote:

> Thanks to you all, I got it working.  It turned out that the startup
> script was messed up for some reason.  You guys were right, AFS was not
> changed my local UID to my viceID, I was told that for me to be able to
> edit the files in my AFS space that are owned by me, I must use my viceID
> as my local UID because the finder doesn't quite understand what is going
> on in AFS land.  My ID on the campus machines is not 501 like it is by
> default on my MacOS X machine.  If there is a better solution to this,
> please let me know!
>
> thanks again
>
> Aaron Rosenblum
> University of Michigan

I believe that what Finder should do on AFS volumes and other
"foreign" file systems is either
- Learn the semantics
or
- Allow for plugins to get and manipulate rights
or in the general case when semantics are unknown
- use the access() call to get the user's rights for each file
  and catalog.

We have discussed this with Apple folks, but they think that
using access() would make the Finder slower.
Maybe it would a little, but on the other hand the current
solution is kind of unusable.

To get around that you have to fake your information:
1. Sync your unix user UIDs with the AFS PTS database's IDs
2. Set all file and dir access bits to reflect your real
afs permission, which can be different for each user.

/ragge