[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Disk Arbitration and OpenAFS

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn@uni-koeln.de
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:35:01 +0200

--==========675080212==========

Alexei,

thanks for your reply.

--On Montag, 14. April 2003 12:56 Uhr -0700 Alexei Kosut=20
<akosut@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> OpenAFS has a few issues with the Disk Arbitration sytem.  Because
> OpenAFS doesn't register the AFS mountpoint with DiskArb, it gets a
> little confused when it notices it later.  It gets especially confused
> when it's trying to do something else at the same time.
>
> One way to fix this is to make sure DiskArb knows about AFS before it
> notices it on its own.  I believe if you put "diskutil -r" in the
> OpenAFS StartupItems script (it needs to be done after AFS is mounted,
> but before the Finder launches), it may help.

Unfortunately it didn't. Disk Arbitration knows about AFS when the Finder=20
comes up:

[tyrion:~] root# disktool -l
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on AFS ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0s1 ***
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on disk0 ***
***Disk Appeared ('disk0s2',Mountpoint =3D '/', fsType =3D 'hfs', volName =
=3D=20
'Original')
*** Unrecognized disk appeared on automount -static [364] ***
***Disk Appeared ('disk0s3',Mountpoint =3D '/Volumes/Faelschung', fsType =
=3D=20
'hfs', volName =3D 'Faelschung')

But diskutil still crashes ...

> My Mac OS X integration patches
> (http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~akosut/macosx/openafs/) will make afsd
> register with DiskArb when it mounts /afs.  I've found that this
> most of the problems like the one you've noted.

Right now I don't see myself compiling OpenAFS myself (I've compiled lots=20
of packages, that's not the issue). I understand that the patches won't be=20
in 1.29. Any word on what happens after that? Or would anyone be willing to =

provide a patched package??

Thanks, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Geb=E4ude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum f=FCr angewandte Informatik - Universit=E4tsweiter Service RRZK