[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Patches to make OpenAFS on Mac OS X more user-friendly

Alexei Kosut akosut@stanford.edu
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:14:25 -0800

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 01:16:13PM -0500, Steve Lidie wrote:
> >    I have also included mount_afs.tar.gz, which provides a
> >    "mount_afs" command that can be used to mount a volume and
> >    register it with the DiskArbitration system so that it shows up in
> >    the Finder immediately and can be ejected correctly by the user.
>
> When I, as a tokenized AFS user, try to eject my home directroy mounted
> via mount-afs, all I get is a Finder beach ball. It doesn't show up in
> a df output, but the icon remains on the desktop.

I've seen this happen occasionally (more often under 10.1 then 10.2),
but very rarely.  DiskArb occasionally gets confused about what
volumes are and aren't mounted, and eject stops working.  It happens
with other types of remote or removable media, too.  I don't *think*
this is a problem with my code specifically, since I copied my code
from mount_webdav, which the Finder uses for .Mac volumes, but it
could be a strange interaction between OpenAFS and the Finder, or
something about certain Macs (like yours).

A restart usually makes everything better, though.  Also, you might
make sure you have AFS tokens before mounting any AFS volume.  The
Finder gets very unhappy if you try to mount a volume whose root
directory it doesn't have read access to.

> >    Also adds a "-nomount" option to afsd, which prevents afsd from
> >    mounting /afs.  We use this by default on our Mac OS X client, so
> >    that AFS doesn't show up in the interface at all unless the user
> >    explicitly asks for an AFS volume to be mounted.  This is
>
>  I've tried editing
> /Library/OpenAFS/Tool/root.client/usr/vice/etc/afs.rc, but that must
> not be the proper file (; So far /afs continues to be mounted.. hmm.

Edit (or create) /var/db/openafs/etc/config/afsd.options.

The shell script that controls OpenAFS's startup behavior,
by the way, is /Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS/OpenAFS.

--
Alexei Kosut <akosut@cs.stanford.edu> <http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~akosut/>