[OpenAFS-port-darwin] new Openafs1.2.9 package

Alexei Kosut akosut@cs.stanford.edu
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 21:14:44 -0500

On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 09:04  PM, Steve Burling wrote:
> Ok, I've figured out my confusion, I think.  Is it the case that in
> order for the Finder to acknowledge its existence, the volume has to
> be mounted in /Volumes?  What I had done was to create a directory (in
> /tmp), and then used that as the second argument for mount_afs, as in:

It doesn't have to be in /Volumes, but there are certain places the
Finder(*) won't notice.  /tmp might be one of them.  I haven't tried
it.  /Volumes is certainly an excelent place for a mountpoint, though.
It's what the Finder uses when you connect to a remote filesystem,
e.g., AppleShare or WebDAV.

>    ./mount_afs user.xxx /tmp/xxx
>
> That resulted in me being able to see the contents of the volume by
> looking in /tmp/xxx, but it didn't show up as a mounted volume to the
> Finder, and I couldn't get rid of it except by rebooting.  Just now, I
> created a directory in /Volumes and used that as the second argument
> to mount_afs, and then it showed up in the Finder, and I could eject
> it.  One inconsistency I noticed, though, is that the directory has to
> exist before mount_afs will mount into it, and then ejecting the
> volume causes the directory to go away.

Yes, that's correct.  It's a little confusing, but it's also consistent
with how mount_afp, mount_smbfs and mount_webdav work. When you eject a
volume, the Finder not only unmounts it, but then removes the
mountpoint.  It likes to be tidy :)

[*] Technically, it's the Disk Arbitration system that does everything
I'm attributing to "the Finder", but that's probably not a relevant
detail.

--
Alexei Kosut <akosut@cs.stanford.edu> <http://cs.stanford.edu/~akosut/>