[OpenAFS-port-darwin] mount_afs warning

Jonathan Z. Simon jzsimon@eng.umd.edu
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:02:26 -0400

Just wanted to give a warning to anyone using Alexei's afsd -nomount
option, and then using mount_afs to mount all of AFS.

If you modify /Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS/OpenAFS to use the -nomount
option (e.g. add -nomount to the $AFSD $OPTIONS line) for your laptop,
and then you later execute 'sudo mount_afs "" /Network/afs' to mount
all of afs where OpenAFS usually mounts it, you'll have a problem:

When afs is unmounted (e.g. when the system is rebooted), /Network/afs
will be removed. Then next time you reboot, OpenAFS will not start due
to the lack of /Network/afs. If you then, naively, use mount_afs, you
will get a kernel panic. :(

So I would recommend adding the line 'if [ ! -d /Network/afs ]; then
mkdir /Network/afs; fi' near the top of
/Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS/OpenAFS if you will ever use the -nomount
option.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Z. Simon
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering / Dept. of Biology