[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Mount_afs question

John C. Welch jwelch@bynkii.com
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:22:21 -0400

On 06/17/2003 10:11, "Jonathan Z. Simon" <jzsimon@eng.umd.edu> wrote:

> That was what I was stuck on till I did a lot of googling and also got
> help from Alexei. The key is that mount_afs needs the "volume-name" to
> mount, which is something you're normally not aware of as a user.
>
> To find out the volume-name of a directory, use the command "fs examine
> <dir>", e.g.
>> fs examine /afs/athena.mit.edu/user/j/w/jwelch/
> and look a the name of the volume (it should be at the end of the first
> line). Use *that* name as the volume-name. Other commands, such as "fs
> quota" will also give you the volume name.
>
> e.g., for me.
>> pwd
> /afs/glue.umd.edu/home/isr/j/jzsimon
>> fs examine .
> Volume status for vid = 1970656703 named h.isr.jzsimon
> Current disk quota is 1000000
> Current blocks used are 689261
> The partition has 66059201 blocks available out of 68811300
>
> So my volume name is h.isr.jzsimon

Right

So I create the directory in volumes:

    mkdir /Volumes/jwelch

Then I mount the volume:
    mount_afs user.jwelch /Volumes/jwelch

I get the icon on the desktop, but it's named "/"

Via the command line, I have full access

Via the finder? Nothing. I know my UID matches, and I have tickets, because
if I just traverse the AFS tree to my homedir, that works fine.

John

--
John C. Welch         Writer/Analyst
Bynkii.com             Mac and other opinions