[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Many crashes on OS X 10.3

Steve Lidie sol0@Lehigh.EDU
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:05:20 -0500

On Nov 9, 2003, at 5:35 PM, Nicholas Riley wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 05:25:48PM -0500, Steve Lidie wrote:
>> 1) where does one find "panic information", as you detailed?
>
> /Library/Logs/panic.log.  You may find this tech note useful:
>
> <http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2063.html>

Thank you.  Wish Apple Tech Support had pointed me there when I asked,
on any of several occasions.

(So much for 15 years of previous Unix experience, should have known
not to look in /var.)

>> 2) my (2nd) G5 was also crashing rather frequently.  While I'm not
>> saying AFS was the only thing is common, it is (was) part of my normal
>> "customization" of a new machine.  The crashes have been so frequent -
>> and random - that I've done yet another erase and install.  It's been
>> >
>> 4 days and the machine is still running - but I've not done a lick of
>> customization.
>>
>> So... I'd like an answer to question #1 above.  It's time to add
>> another variable to my machine's "crash equation", and it might as
>> well
>> be AFS.  Were it to crash, I'd like to get a traceback ... I've been
>> trying to get a stable G5 for 6 weeks now.
>
> I've not had any problems with any of my machines which aren't running
> AFS since Panther was released - not a single panic.  Of the two
> machines that we're testing out OpenAFS on, they have been panicing
> several times a day.

OK, will install AFS again an watch carefully... many thanks.

Steve