[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Many crashes on OS X 10.3

Nicholas Riley njriley@uiuc.edu
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:47:38 -0600

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 06:38:23PM -0500, Aaron Rosenblum wrote:
> The only time I have seen kernel panics with previous openAFS versions
> is where the user is making afs use a specific larger cache size, but
> their machine does not have much physical ram.  You would have to
> specify this in the afsd.options file.

I have indeed changed the cache size (on the advice of this mailing
list!) because I was seeing poor performance otherwise.  The machine
has 512MB physical RAM.  I was under the impression that a larger
cache only potentially wastes disk space.  What is a reasonable cache
size to prevent instability?  We frequently copy media files of sizes
500 MB-1 GB to and from AFS, if that helps.

> In any case, you should report the Kernel Panics to Apple via their bug
> reporting mechanism.  Grab a free online ADC account (if you dont
> already have one) and head over to bugreport.apple.com.

Since OpenAFS is implicated in the majority of the reports, I doubt
that'd do any good.

Thanks for the help,

--
=Nicholas Riley <njriley@uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>