[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3

Joseph Jackson jackson@CMU.EDU
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:59:08 -0400

Aaron,

As you may have guessed by the delayed response, I haven't been intimately
involved in our work on OpenAFS lately. I'm not a kernel programmer, but in
the past I've done some Q/A type work to help get bugs in front of Chaskiel
and Derrick. I don't have a formal role in the OpenAFS organization.

I still play a large role in our student labs, though, and our work with
10.3 has really brought the OpenAFS port back to my front burner. Ever
since 10.3.2 or so, I've noticed a number of panics during move operations.
If we can't get the OpenAFS client stabilized, our environment will need
major rework before we can upgrade our labs to 10.3. So I'm heavily
motivated to make sure Derrick has what he needs to fix the problems. ;-)

On another list, Surajit Bose from Stanford pointed out that SubEthaEdit
reliably crashes the OpenAFS client when you save over an existing
document. I assume it tickles a problem when moving the original file to
the backup version with the tilde in its name. In any case, reliable ways
of reproducing problems are a huge help in getting them fixed.

Joe.

--On Friday, February 13, 2004 1:50 PM -0500 Aaron Rosenblum