[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3

Steve Lidie sol0@Lehigh.EDU
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:21:26 -0400

On Apr 14, 2004, at 9:49 PM, Aaron Rosenblum wrote:

> FWIW I have not heard widespread panic issues here at umich.  However,
> I will start tickling my colleagues here and see what they have to
> say.  Part of the issue may be that, at least with the 10.3
> deployment, we are not yet using AFS for home directories.

And that appears to be key.  An AFS home dir will result in a kernel
panic every few days (here), usually vnreclaim, but I've seen others.
Simply having AFS available for, say, /usr/local/bin, generally works
fine.  But actually installing apps like
Matlab often cause a kernel panic.  This with Panther ....

OTOH, with Jaquar/AFS but *local* home dirs there has never been a
kernel panic in over a year.

On my G5 (Panther) w/AFS and a local home dir I see occasional kernel
panics, but only after heavy AFS usage (e.g. after installing large AFS
applications).

> Most AFS usage in the labs is just students copying the occasional
> word document to their "AFS Space".  I would assume heavier use of AFS
> by a wider variety of programs (not just the finder and office) would
> exacerbate the problem.

That is my feeling.