[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: anyone want to work on the installer?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:08:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Everette Gray Allen wrote:

> Ok so my bad phrasing of the question has confused several folks.  Sorry for
> that.  Let me clarify my question.
> Right now there is no postflight script in the stable release installer.  The
> proposal is to add a postflight script.  My concern is: 1) I am not sure what
> it would do ?

That sounds like a personal problem;-)

> and 2) I like the idea that I can simply add my own postflight
> without having to be concerned that something critical to the stock openafs
> install would be left out or misconfigured.

the current proposal was for one to configure your cell based on user
input, and maybe options to afsd. you could of course replace it with one
that was local to your site.

> I did not understand the comment about this "cell discovery" tool which needs
> command line xcode to build.  It looked like from the comment that the tool
> might need to be built on the fly from the postflight script in the
> installer.

if it does, that's a bug.

> I believe that the proposal is to include the "cell discovery"
> tool in the installer as a binary and call it from the postflight to create a
> valid ThisCell file.

Yes.

> I already handle that problem by copying over the valid
> ThisCell for our site when I customize the "stock" installer.

which of course is unportable. i don't want to be in your cell. i bet you
don't want to be in mine.

> So I guess I do not understand why we need the postflight script?

because not everyone edits the installer, and the people who don't get a
client which doesn't know what cell it's in, and so isn't useful. you're
clueful enough to edit it. people who just download the client might not
be clueful enough to know they need to
sudo echo some-string > /var/db/openafs/etc/ThisCell
and what some-string is.

> If the postflight just does configuration tasks then maybe I could just
> remove it and drop my script in with no harm.

yup.

> On the other hand, postflight
> runs every time, regardless of upgrade or new/clean install and that could be
> a problem for folks in general who are upgrading and have made changes to
> ThisCell or CellServDB or whatever configs are attempted by the proposed
> postflight.

until the most current installer, CellServDB was already being overwritten
every time anyway. we have a mechanism for local changes now. if you
choose to ignore that, well, again, i don't care if you lose. (of course,
you'd have to try very, very hard to lose; the new cellservdb is named
master, and merged into any changes you have...)