[OpenAFS-port-darwin] anyone want to work on the installer?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn@uni-koeln.de
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:51:05 +0200

--==========126C500E6A38638A196E==========

Hi,

--On Montag, 9. August 2004 10:20 Uhr -0400 David Botsch=20
<dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu> wrote:

> I'm willing to modify my gui config utility to do something like that =
with
> the options (at present, it just presents a box where one types in the
> options and that text is copied into the afsd.options file).
>
> I can see two scenarios, actually:
> 1. put each option in with a check to enable or disable (and a box
> afterwards to specify things like -volumes 70 or whatever)
> 2. have basically 3 checkboxes
> 	a. desktop use
> 	b. laptop use
> 	c. dynamic root
>
> the difference between a and b being the use of -nomount

sounds like a good approach for "simple" and "expert" modes of=20
installation. A good question is what the defaults for the simple mode=20
should be. Following Derrick's suggestions I currently use this:

-fakestat-all -stat 3000 -dcache 2500 -daemons 5 -volumes 128 -chunksize 18

My uptime is only 6 days so far. If this lasts longer than two weeks, I'll=20
call it a success ;-)

> I would also argue the startup script should be modified for laptops (we
> do this here) so that afs always starts regardless of whether or not the
> network is up. With -nomount, afs won't freeze the computer upon login.
> And, once a valid network connection is setup, a user can just run the
> commandline or gui MountAFS (gui available from our website ... and the
> gui does work under Jaguar and Panther) to get to afs (plus use the gui
> to get afs tokens - also works under jaguar and panther).

I agree.

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Geb=E4ude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum f=FCr angewandte Informatik - Universit=E4tsweiter Service RRZK

--==========126C500E6A38638A196E==========--