[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: OS X hangs when accessing files

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:00:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Systems Administration wrote:

>>> The only way to kick to a 'timeout' is to force restart the bosserver on
>>> the fileserver box.
>>
>> that smells like a fileserver hang unrelated to the mac client. let me
>> guess, your fileserver is linux, something relatively recent, with "new
>> pthreads library" support...
>
> ding ding ding - I saw a few threads on the other lists about the threads
> issue however nothing concrete as to how to solve it - I think you referenced
> one person to use the fileserver binary from the src/viced directory in the
> source tree but that is the only fileserver binary in the make and its whats

src/viced/fileserver and src/tviced/fileserver are both made, and for a
platform with pthreads the latter is installed.

> already getting called by bosserver - so there must be more to it.  I googled

nope.

ldd /usr/afs/bin/fileserver. if you have libpthread you don't have the lwp
fileserver

> Is there a thread on the list you can reference me to that better details the
> solution or is there an option to pass to the gnu configure script to turn
> off the pthreads utilization?

i don't think you can. but as i say, the lwp version is always built.

also consider looking at LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1, but new enough
dynamic linkers might not honor that option.

this is one of those issues that someone needs to look at in more detail,
and no one has yet had time to