[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: OS X hangs when accessing files

Systems Administration sysadmin@contrailservices.com
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:54:00 -0600

>> The only way to kick to a 'timeout' is to force restart the bosserver
>> on the fileserver box.
>
> that smells like a fileserver hang unrelated to the mac client. let me
> guess, your fileserver is linux, something relatively recent, with
> "new pthreads library" support...

ding ding ding - I saw a few threads on the other lists about the
threads issue however nothing concrete as to how to solve it - I think
you referenced one person to use the fileserver binary from the
src/viced directory in the source tree but that is the only fileserver
binary in the make and its whats already getting called by bosserver -
so there must be more to it.  I googled a bit looking for an explicit
switch to add to configure and or a run-time flag to add when issuing
the 'bos create' command.  The only thing that came up was your
reference, and someone else's to using a 'non-threaded' version of the
binary, but advice as to how to force creation of one.

Is there a thread on the list you can reference me to that better
details the solution or is there an option to pass to the gnu configure
script to turn off the pthreads utilization?

Ted