[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Conflicts when network disconnected

Thomas Jordan jordant@fnal.gov
Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:26:35 -0600

I wrote a simple script that I execute from the terminal to unhang my
laptop when this happens.

stopafs:

	OwenMeany:~ jordant$ more /usr/bin/stopafs
	#! /bin/bash
	sudo umount -f /afs
	sudo /sbin/kextunload -b org.openafs.filesystems.afs
	OwenMeany:~ jordant$

I also linked /usr/bin/afs to the OpenAFS file in
/Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS/. The file in this path is the one that
the installer puts there and directs you to use to start the client.

These two changes allow me to start and stop AFS at will. voila'

OwenMeany:~ jordant$  date
Tue Dec  7 09:21:35 CST 2004
OwenMeany:~ jordant$  sudo afs
kextload: /var/db/openafs/etc/afs.kext loaded successfully
Starting afsd
afsd: All AFS daemons started.
OwenMeany:~ jordant$  date
Tue Dec  7 09:21:47 CST 2004
OwenMeany:~ jordant$  sudo stopafs
kextunload: unload id org.openafs.filesystems.afs succeeded (any
personalities also unloaded)
OwenMeany:~ jordant$  date
Tue Dec  7 09:22:05 CST 2004
OwenMeany:~ jordant$  sudo afs
kextload: /var/db/openafs/etc/afs.kext loaded successfully
Starting afsd
afsd: All AFS daemons started.
OwenMeany:~ jordant$  ls /
Applications                    Library                         afs
                         mach.sym
Applications (Mac OS 9)         Network
automount                       mach_kernel
Desktop DB                      System                          bin
                         private
Desktop DF                      System Folder                   cores
                         sbin
Desktop Folder                  User Guides And Information     dev
                         tmp
Developer                       Users                           etc
                         usr
Documents To Go Installer Log   Volumes                         mach
                         var
OwenMeany:~ jordant$

One warning though. If there are any afs resources open (e.g., files)
stopping afs _will_ kernel panic your machine. In earlier versions of
afs simply having a terminal with its pwd in afs space will panic the
machine if afs is stopped.

Enjoy,
	Tom