[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3

Steve Lidie sol0@Lehigh.EDU
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:02:37 -0500

On Feb 6, 2004, at 2:55 PM, Massimo Marino wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2004, at 8:43 PM, Steve Lidie wrote:
>

>> On Feb 6, 2004, at 1:40 PM, Massimo Marino wrote:
>>
>>> First: I am not flaming but it might be important to know for people
>>> in charge that it is not AFS per se: I use
>>
>> Until this thread, I've been leaning towards Retrospect: I've
>> correlated the "vnreclaim" panics with unattended backups overnight.
>> What I've discovered is that, backing up to an external FireWire
>> drive, I could reproduce a panic if the disk was full- i.e. no room
>> for Retrospect's catalog information. I've forwarded the panic logs
>> and my "diary" to both Apple and Dantz, but, as you might guess, they
>> both told me to go away.   Then again, perhaps both afs and
>> Retrospect are tweaking a Panther end case ...
>
> I also have and use Retrospect Express but am not backing up to AFS
> volumes - if that is what you imply - nor

No - afs is not even involved - I'm just backing up the internal disk
to an external FireWirwe. I was just agreeing with you that it might
not be AFS.

> external drives: my backups go to an online server. If and when there
> is no space the bck simply fails. I tuned that down re-cycling the bck
> after so many days automatically so not to run out of quota.

Oh, I can typically avoid the out-of-space condition.... but when I do
not I get the vnrelcaim kernel panic, and can reproduce it doing a
simple RS backup to an external drive.