[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3

Shantonu Sen ssen@mit.edu
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:10:58 -0800

You don't need to be actively using AFS for it to cause panics and
system instability. In this case, I would not be shocked if AFS did not
mark some vnode's state properly, and under heavy vnode load (like a
backup, which may traverse thousands of files), the vnode tried to get
recycled.

You might try tweaking your configuration to see if you can affect the
frequency of panics. For instance:
[shantonu@ssen-albook]$ sysctl kern.maxvnodes
kern.maxvnodes = 9216
[shantonu@ssen-albook]$ sudo sysctl -w kern.maxvnodes=20000
Password:
kern.maxvnodes: 9216 -> 20000

Warning: this may increase the memory requirements of your system. You
can probably also disable AFS from starting at boot to try to isolate
the issue. I find it difficult to believe backing up to a firewire
drive causes panics in isolation.

Shantonu