[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:07:46 -0500

--On Friday, February 13, 2004 13:50:58 -0500 Aaron Rosenblum
<arosenbl@mac.com> wrote:

> Is Joe Jackson from CMU still involved?  I am not sure if he did the
> actual port or if he was responsible for deployment at CMU for OSX.

I was the one who did the initial port, but I haven't been working on
darwin support in a while.
CMU still uses OpenAFS on OS X, but our public user machines aren't running
10.3 at this time, and so are not yet affected by this problem.

I presume that this problem is related to the vnode/vcache aliasing that
afs does on most platforms, and that has caused OS X specific problems in
the past. The "right" answer is presumably to do what the OpenBSD port did
and allocate vnodes from the OS. However, I don't know what state the
OpenBSD code is in, so I don't know if it's a complete implementation of
vnode/vcache seperation.