[OpenAFS-port-darwin] My Ramblings was--Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3 - MP problem?

Shantonu Sen ssen@mit.edu
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:37:29 -0800

 =46rom what I've seen and heard, there is no bug in Apple's FS code=20
responsible for these panics.
Apple is not (and should not be) in the business of debugging=20
third-party software. Mac OS X
supports several network filesystems, some with fairly complicated=20
user-space components.

A DTS support request probably requires there be a bug in Mac OS X to=20
fix. I don't see any
evidence of that. Can someone show me what logic problems or other bugs=20=

in xnu are causing
these problems?

If somebody wants to see this fixed, I think they need to pay someone=20
as a contractor to fix this.
Sending kernel panic messages to a mailing list for several months so=20
far has not made
significant progress.

Someone will probably need to do similar contract work for each OS=20
release. I don't believe
Apple has committed to forward-compatible APIs for the filesystem like=20=

they have with the IOKit.

Shantonu