[OpenAFS-port-darwin] My Ramblings was--Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3 - MP problem?

Ragnar Sundblad ragge@nada.kth.se
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:55:15 +0100

Hello Shantonu,

--On den 16 februari 2004 20:37 -0800 Shantonu Sen <ssen@mit.edu> wrote:

>  From what I've seen and heard, there is no bug in Apple's FS code
> responsible for these panics.

I don't think anyone said that.

> If somebody wants to see this fixed, I think they need
> to pay someone as a contractor to fix this.

I think there are other ways too, but sure, that is one
way to maybe get a result. The thought has passed my mind
too, and also that we that want to see it fixed maybe could
share the cost.

What I am trying to do is getting a better understanding of
the problem and what it might take to fix it. I am sorry for
not knowing the kernel and openafs good enough to directly
understand the problem, but with some information from this
list and some talking to the right people I might understand
what to expect and wether or not to get a contractor and all.
I'd be happy to have you as one of those people, if you
would be so kind to bear with me.

> Sending kernel panic messages to a mailing list for several
> months so far has not made significant progress.

People are only trying to get helped and help, there is no
need to complain about that.

> A DTS support request probably requires there be a bug in
> Mac OS X to fix.

I believe it actually is meant for getting answers to, and help
with, serious programming questions, not bugs which is what the
"radar" system is for, I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars
to report bugs to anyone.

But never mind, it was meant as a joke, that is why I put
one of those smileys there. Sorry for that.

("Development-level technical support means that WWDTS will
answer questions about the code you are writing or the hardware
that you are designing."
<http://developer.apple.com/technicalsupport/policies.html>)

I didn't mean to upset anyone. Really.

/ragge