[OpenAFS-port-darwin] My Ramblings was--Re: Many crashes on OS X 10.3 - MP problem?

Shantonu Sen ssen@mit.edu
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:38:18 -0800

--Apple-Mail-4--87949441

On Feb 16, 2004, at 9:55 PM, Ragnar Sundblad wrote:
>> Sending kernel panic messages to a mailing list for several
>> months so far has not made significant progress.
>
> People are only trying to get helped and help, there is no
> need to complain about that.

I wasn't complaining at all. I think we've got a good characterization
that there are several types of panics, on varying types of hardware,
some of which even happened on 10.2.x.

>> A DTS support request probably requires there be a bug in
>> Mac OS X to fix.
>
> I believe it actually is meant for getting answers to, and help
> with, serious programming questions, not bugs which is what the
> "radar" system is for, I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars
> to report bugs to anyone.

Ah, I think you're right. My mistake.

> I didn't mean to upset anyone. Really.

You didn't upset me at all. I just am trying to present a balanced
perspective on this situation. I've seen several posts to this list of
the
form "Apple really needs to fix this or else...", when I think a more
accurate
description of the issue is "OpenAFS.org brought this code to Mac OS X,
and
it being broken is really preventing a lot of people from using it ".
One version directs the blame at Apple, which I think is unjust in some
ways,
and the other acknowledges that there is(are) a problem(s), and
solutions don't just fall from the sky.
As some people have mentioned, Arla can fill this niche, and has for
some sites.

Shantonu

P.S. This is my personal opinion, and not necessarily those of my
employer, Apple Computer.
--Apple-Mail-4--87949441

<excerpt><excerpt>Sending kernel panic messages to a mailing list for
several

months so far has not made significant progress.

</excerpt>

People are only trying to get helped and help, there is no

need to complain about that.

</excerpt>

I wasn't complaining at all. I think we've got a good characterization

that there are several types of panics, on varying types of hardware,

some of which even happened on 10.2.x.

<excerpt><excerpt>A DTS support request probably requires there be a
bug in

Mac OS X to fix.

</excerpt>

I believe it actually is meant for getting answers to, and help

with, serious programming questions, not bugs which is what the

"radar" system is for, I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars

to report bugs to anyone.

</excerpt>

Ah, I think you're right. My mistake.

<excerpt>I didn't mean to upset anyone. Really.

</excerpt>

You didn't upset me at all. I just am trying to present a balanced

perspective on this situation. I've seen several posts to this list of
the

form "Apple really needs to fix this or else...", when I think a more
accurate

description of the issue is "OpenAFS.org brought this code to Mac OS
X, and

it being broken is really preventing a lot of people from using it ".

<flushboth>One version directs the blame at Apple, which I think is
unjust in some ways,

and the other acknowledges that there is(are) a problem(s), and
solutions don't just fall from the sky.

As some people have mentioned, Arla can fill this niche, and has for
some sites.

</flushboth>