[OpenAFS-port-darwin] tiger comments

David Botsch dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:51:39 -0500

Hi.

I have just started playing with openafs on Tiger, and wanted to pass along
some comments (some of which have been seen before).

I'm using a cvs from a day or two before RC3 was announced (so that places it
at about January 3 or 4) on 10.4.3 and 10.4.4

First question: if one is without network, is the -nomount option (which is
still there) still necessary? Or should -fakestat-all let the finder do the
right thing and not hang forever?

Second: If one "ejects" afs, then attempts to remount it (using either the
commandline utility or the gui I wrote around the cmdline utility), you then
cannot (at lest through the finder) access afs... the error is something along
the lines of "the volume is not there", even though the afs icon does reappear.

Third: If one attempts to drag the afs icon to the trash, instead of ejecting,
a box appears saying "preparing to move one item into the trash". The box stays
like this... clicking the cancel button does not appear to do anything. Had to
forcibly restart the computer. On a subsequent boot, doing an eject via the
eject icon next to the afs icon in a finder window worked just fine.

Fourth: Computer seems to hang if not ejecting afs on shutdown.

Fifth: ejection of afs is slow. The afs icon itself does not seem to actually
disappear from the desktop until you try to click on it after ejecting.

Sixth: I know this has already been mentioned, but thought I would bring it up
again. If afs tokens do not let you access a folder/file, the folder/file is
greyed out in the finder. Clicking the greyed out file/folder causes it to
disappear. It then stays disappeared, even if you klog as someone with
appropriate permissions to access the file/folder.

Seventh: The non-working afssettings... what exactly is that supposed to do,
and how does it differ from afsd.options ?

If any of these have supposedly been solved/updated in a later cvs, I'll give
that a shot.

Thanks!

--
David William Botsch