[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Finder Unable to Delete Files/Folders From AFS

Mike Bydalek mbydalek@contentconnections.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:01:25 -0700

Hello.

I'm running 1.4.1-rc9 on 10.4.5 and I'm doing some testing with storing
user home directories on the afs server.  For my test situation, I have
a user able to login via. the finder, grab afs tokens, and then
successfully use the machine with the home directory stored in
/afs/contentconnections.com/home/username

The problem I'm seeing is that in finder, I'm now unable to delete any
files or folders when I browse out to AFS -> contentconnectoins.com ->
folder.  But, I am able to delete files and folders on my desktop -
which is on AFS.  The error I am getting is: The Finder cannot complete
the operation because some data in "filename" could not be read or
written.  (Error code -36).

I can do everything else though, create, rename, copy, paste - just not
delete (or move to my desktop, hence deleting) from AFS.  I have tried
some suggestions from here:
http://www.stanford.edu/services/ess/mac/docs/macleland24/troubleshooting.html#remotetrash,
but this doesn't 100% apply because deleting does work just fine if I
login with a local account.

I have 2 questions:

1) Anyone have a clue why this may be happening?

2) I would love to submit a bug report, but I'm not sure where the bug
lies nor how to even debug the finder.  How can I go about finding out
what is wrong?

Thank you.

-Mike