[OpenAFS-port-darwin] Re: Recent changes to MacOS AFS client in 1.5 series

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:27:42 -0400

Oh yeah. One more thing.

> Finder's issues with what it notices as far as callback-generated or
> authentication-state-change-caused changes (see RT 23781) cannot be
> fixed with proper use of the KPI, as none of KNOTEs, vnode_notify or
> fsevents are properly usable by us. (It may be possible to open
> /dev/fsevents and write events to it and have them be redelivered if
> they parse correctly, however, this is completely undocumented and
> most likely not supported; an alternate mechanism, probably similarly
> abusive but using only available and documented interfaces, may be
> possible)

This is now done and available for testing.

/afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr/shadow/OpenAFS-1.5.72-Snowleopard+bulkstat+umove+growl+fsevents.dmg

Only applies to authentication state changes, and it uses a trick. The
trick is entirely within the KPI, at least.

Remember that as before to use the growl agent (in
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/tools/) you'll need to
"sudo fs mariner localhost" after each AFS start before any data is
received. Hopefully we'll come up with a way for the preferences pane
to select for this to be configured and the growl agent started on
boot.

--
Derrick