[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Problems on 5.2-R

Nathan A. Cosgray ncosgray@u.washington.edu
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:26:52 -0700

Just in case this info is useful to others, I was eventually able to
compile openafs 1.3.63 on 5.2-R with the following steps:

# /stand/sysinstall
   - Choose 'Configure'
   - Choose 'Distributions'
   - Choose 'src'
   - Choose 'sys' and then choose 'OK', and 'OK' again.
   - Choose an FTP site to download the sources from. Skip the network
     configuration if prompted. After the install is complete, choose the
     'Exit' options until you exit sysinstall.
# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
# config GENERIC
# cd /usr/ports/AFS/openafs-1.3.63
# ./configure --with-afs-sysname=i386_fbsd_52 --enable-transarc-paths \
   --with-bsd-kernel-headers=/usr/src/sys \
   --with-bsd-kernel-build=/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/GENERIC
# gmake
# gmake install

Now I'm not seeing fileserver dump core every 5 minutes as was the case
with version 1.3.52. This is good news to me. But, further testing is
required. And I'm still not sure whether OpenAFS server on FreeBSD is
"recommended" or not -- I guess that, like everyone else here, I will
form my own opinion in time...

thanks
-n.