[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Re: OpenAFS on FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE?

Jan Henrik Sylvester me@janh.de
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 01:32:53 +0100

On 10/25/2013 06:06, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>
>> I will try to have a patch ready sometime tomorro.
>
> Please try out http://people.freebsd.org/~bjk/openafs.diff -- it passed
> a quick smoke-test on a 9.2-PRERELEASE VM that I had sitting around.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I have been kind of busy.

With your patch, the port works for me on 9.2-RELEASE/amd64 for basic
operations like reading or writing some files.

I do not know why I tried "dd if=/dev/random of=/afs/[...] bs=65536" as
something like that never worked on FreeBSD before: There was no
surprise and it made dd and its parents unkillable with an afsd process
consuming a whole CPU until a reboot. Nothing new, I guess. Saner
operations seem to work, though.

> It includes a few other nice things than just the version support, like
> having a proper dependency on NETWORKING instead of the non-existent
> networking for server startup and not leaking references to cache
> entries on pioctl operations.
>
> Support for FreeBSD 10 is not quite finished -- well, more properly,
> support for clang as the compiler is not quite finished, and FreeBSD 10
> only supplies clang in the base system.  If you're using clang, you
> should pass -mstack-realign in CFLAGS for now.  That may not end up
> being the final workaround we go with (it's a pretty large hammer), but
> it should produce LWP binaries which don't crash on startup, which is
> better than the alternative.

I am using the default compiler on 9.2-RELEASE and I have not gotten to
testing OpenAFS on 10, yet, but I will probably do that, soon.

Thank you for the patch and explanations!
Jan Henrik