[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Re: OpenAFS on FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:41:45 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:

> On 10/25/2013 06:06, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>>
>>> I will try to have a patch ready sometime tomorro.
>>
>> Please try out http://people.freebsd.org/~bjk/openafs.diff -- it passed
>> a quick smoke-test on a 9.2-PRERELEASE VM that I had sitting around.
>
> With your patch, the port works for me on 9.2-RELEASE/amd64 for basic
> operations like reading or writing some files.

Thanks for testing and reporting back.

> I do not know why I tried "dd if=/dev/random of=/afs/[...] bs=65536" as
> something like that never worked on FreeBSD before: There was no
> surprise and it made dd and its parents unkillable with an afsd process
> consuming a whole CPU until a reboot. Nothing new, I guess. Saner
> operations seem to work, though.

There is something not-quite-right with cache eviction (when we need to
remove chunks from the cache by writing them to the remote server in order
to make space for incoming data), but I wasn't able to track it down when
I last looked at it.  It's certainly *supposed* to work, there's just a
bug or two floating around.

-Ben