[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Re: OpenAFS on FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE?

Jan Henrik Sylvester me@janh.de
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:41:56 +0100

On 11/13/2013 02:41, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:

>>> Please try out http://people.freebsd.org/~bjk/openafs.diff -- it passed
>>> a quick smoke-test on a 9.2-PRERELEASE VM that I had sitting around.
>>
>> With your patch, the port works for me on 9.2-RELEASE/amd64 for basic
>> operations like reading or writing some files.
>
> Thanks for testing and reporting back.

I have tried on 10.0-BETA3/amd64, too: Reading (testing the checksum of
a 3GB file) und writing (copying a 128MB file and checking it from
another machine) seems to work.

>> I do not know why I tried "dd if=/dev/random of=/afs/[...] bs=65536" as
>> something like that never worked on FreeBSD before: There was no
>> surprise and it made dd and its parents unkillable with an afsd process
>> consuming a whole CPU until a reboot. Nothing new, I guess. Saner
>> operations seem to work, though.
>
> There is something not-quite-right with cache eviction (when we need to
> remove chunks from the cache by writing them to the remote server in
> order to make space for incoming data), but I wasn't able to track it
> down when I last looked at it.  It's certainly *supposed* to work,
> there's just a bug or two floating around.

I have tried again using dd to copy -- this time for a finite amount of
data. The process is blocked (afsslp) and does not react to signals (^T
shows the load instead of the bytes transferred and ^C does nothing),
but it eventually finishes leaving the machine and afs operational. In
contrast to FreeBSD, dd does react to signals on Linux only with a
slight delay.

Anyhow, afs is usable for the light operations I usually do from
FreeBSD. Thanks!

Cheers,
Jan Henrik