[OpenAFS-port-freebsd] Accessing /afs from FreeBSD Linux emulation

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Sat, 16 Apr 2016 14:39:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:

> [Resend, since the first one is in moderation for a few days now.]
>
> On 10.3-RELEASE/amd64, I just tried to access /afs from the Linux
> emulation on a remote machine -- now that machine does not even react to
> ping anymore. I reproduced part of the problem locally on another machine:
>
> /compat/linux/bin/bash
> ls /afs
>
> The (Linux) ls process consumes a whole CPU core, outputs nothing, and
> is unkillable. Of course, /afs is busy and I cannot umount it, either,
> making a clean shutdown of the machine impossible.
>
> On one machine, it was a 64bit Linux environment
> (linux_base-c6_64-6.7_1), on the other, it was a 32bit Linux environment
> (linux_base-c6-6.7_1).
>
> Is accessing /afs from the Linux emulation supposed to work?

I can't speak to whether it has ever actually worked, and I don't have a
strong understanding of the architecture of the linux emulation layer, but
yes, I would expect it to be able to work.

Can you get the procstat -kk <pid> output for the hung process?

Since it's a release kernel, I assume there's no WITNESS enabled ... any
interest in building a debug kernel and trying again?

-Ben