[Port-solaris] sol11 AFS syscall

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:26:16 -0600

On 11/27/2010 1:07 PM, Frank Batschulat wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:02:21 +0100, Douglas E. Engert <deengert@anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> Being a large Solaris shop and running AFS (and now OpenAFS) on Solaris
>> servers since 1992, I am very disappointed in this response from Oracle.
>> If as other have pointed out that an unlinkat could be done by accident
>> I would think the Oracle would look at this more closely, and do their
>> customers a favor and reserve syscall 65 for OpenAFS.
>
> thanks, that was of no help whatsoever in this technical discussion.

It was not meant to be technical, it was meant to be a plea for mercy
from a customer. I am not sure what your position is withing Oracle,
but I assume you would take back comments like these to your management.

> if you prefer it that way, I'd suggest opening a service call for your
> contract once the next Solaris version has been released to seek
> support on behalf of the OpenAFS project.

Yes we will look into doing that, but as others point out it maybe too late
if we have to wait till a release is out.

I know Oracle has changed Sun's policies on early public release of software
changes, and this sort of change may have been caught much earlier, and not
been an issue if the old policies were still in place.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory