[Port-solaris] Re: Kernel panic after a few minutes

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:24:06 -0500

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:47:40 +0200
Sebastian Hanigk <shanigk@fs.tum.de> wrote:

> well, first and foremost, I seem to have solved the problem. In a
> nutshell, it has been the time setting feature of the afsd that has
> caused trouble. Now deactivated, the machine runs flawless (at least
> until now ...); NTPv4 is running for time synchronisation.

That should be off by default; did you pass -settime to afsd? (I didn't
see it mentioned in the OP)

> Another feature of this system has been the UFS cache partition which
> has been mounted with the logging option (copy&paste from the
> uni-hohenheim scripts ...); a short search has shown that this mount
> option has been frowned upon at least in the past. Firstly, I had
> remounted the cache partition with the nologging option, but this
> alone was not successful in terms of crash prevention.

The warnings about this are only relevant when you share the cache
partition with other stuff. For you, /usr/vice/cache is a dedicated
partition, so it doesn't matter. I believe afsd yells at you in all
appropriate cases, and so you didn't see a warning since your setup is
fine.

> > Do you have a vmcore and vmunix (or a 'vmdump') in /var/crash ? (Or
> > probably several by now) And would you be willing to provide them?
> > These may contain sensitive information, as they contain all of the
> > memory of the running system at that time, but if I had them to look
> > at myself, it would make it easier to see what's going on more
> > quickly.
>
> I have to check back with my boss, but it should be no problem
> providing the crash images in a private manner.

Don't worry about this. This is probably very easily reproducible; I
think the -settime code doesn't see a lot of use/testing (and possibly
should be removed, or warned about or something).

> bash-3.2# mdb -k unix.6 vmcore.6
> Loading modules: [ unix krtld genunix specfs dtrace uppc pcplusmp cpu.generic zfs sockfs ip hook neti sctp arp usba uhci fctl nca lofs cpc random crypto fcip ptm ufs sppp nfs ]
> > cml_version_number/x64c

I meant /64c, not /x64c here, oops. But yes, thanks.

> If I can provide more information, please let me know!

We probably don't need any more information; that stuff I was asking for
was just trying to see how the -settime functionality was turned on,
since I thought you hadn't configured it. The rest is probably easy.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net