[OpenAFS] Localized (non en_US version) of 1.5.68 for Windows available?

Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:49:12 -0500

On 1/14/2010 9:18 AM, Holger Rauch wrote:
> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> first of all, thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> You can contact Microsoft support to identify where the localized
>> versions of the hot fixes can be obtained.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that, but that wasn't really my point. My point was
> whether or not these hot fixes are really *required* for a smooth
> operation of OpenAFS 1.5.68 on a Win XP SP3 (32 bit) system. Are they?

We have attempted to be clear about this the web page:

	http://www.openafs.org/pages/windows.html#hotfix

Those hotfixes listed as CRITICAL! are very strongly recommended.
The content of those hot fixes are built into Vista SP2, 2008 SP2, and
Win7.  Failure to install the hot fixes can result in Windows kernel
deadlocks and loss of all SMB file system access.  Not everyone
experiences the problem.  Your mileage may vary.

>> [...]
>> I maintain a copy of the loopback installer at
>>
>> \\afs\athena.mit.edu\user\j\a\jaltman\Public\openafs\Support\instloop.zip
>>
>> unzip the binaries and execute "instloop -i".   You can report any
>> errors you receive.
>
> Thanks for sharing this. It seems to me that I got the same error as
> if the loopback device was installed from the OpenAFS installer.
> Here's the transcript of the install session ("instloop -i"):
>
> ===
>
> H:\>instloop -i
> Installing the Microsoft Loopback Adapter
>  (Note: This may take up to a minute or two...)
> Running SetIpAddress()...:[][][0]
> Intializing COM:[][][0]
> Creating Wbem Locator object:[][][0]
> Connecting to WMI:[][][0]
> Connected to WMI:[][][0]
> Found adapter:[][{5F1234D6-2CA6-4F6C-A9EB-ADB287D96FB8}][0]
> Found Adapter Instance:[][Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration.Index=18][0]
> Calling ExecMethod EnableStatic NOW...          :[][][0]
> EnableStatic failed :[][][96]
> Trying again in 20 seconds...:[][][0]
> Trying again in 10 seconds...:[][][0]
> Trying again in  5 seconds...:[][][0]
> Calling ExecMethod EnableStatic NOW...          :[][][0]
> EnableStatic failed :[][][96]
> Trying again in 3 seconds...:[][][0]
> Calling ExecMethod EnableStatic NOW...          :[][][0]
> EnableStatic failed :[][][96]
> Trying again in 3 seconds...:[][][0]
> Calling ExecMethod EnableStatic NOW...          :[][][0]
>
> ===
>
> Any idea as to what the problem might be? Was the loopback adapter perhaps already
> installed and I simply wasn't aware of that?
>
> If so, how can I skip this step when invoking the OpenAFS installer
> (just in order to avoid this error the next time)?

The EnableStatic method of the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WMI
class is failing with error 96 "Unable to notify DNS service".  My best
guess is that your machine is configured for dynamic DNS updates.  I
haven't seen this behavior in the past.

Jeffrey Altman