[AFS3-std] Second Draft of Standardisation Document

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:25:18 -0400

> >> the concept of a single individual with ultimate decision-making
> > power,
> >> who
> >> has both the ability to override any decision made by someone else
and
> > the
> >> inability to pass responsibility on to someone else.  We don't have
> > anyone
> >> like that in our organization.
> >
> > Yet. People are people, wherever you go. It *will* happen, and it
needs
> > to be planned for.
>=20
> I'm sorry, David, but your comment doesn't make any sense to me in the
> context of this conversation about how to handle ties in chair
elections.

See quoted comment above my response. You will eventually encounter
someone who claims those powers, or simply refuses to leave a position
when it's past time to go -- and is actively harming the organization.
This organization (or any other, fwiw) is not immune to human nature.=20

Count me as a cynic, but if you don't plan for it, you're going to get
burned by it. "oops" is a design failure, and oops with strong
personalities involved is especially ugly. Better to try to anticipate
the issue.=20