[AFS3-std] Second Draft of Standardisation Document

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:11:32 -0400

--On Friday, August 29, 2008 02:25:18 PM -0400 David Boyes
<dboyes@sinenomine.net> wrote:

>> > power,
> and
>> > the
>> > anyone
>> >
>> > Yet. People are people, wherever you go. It *will* happen, and it
> needs
>> > to be planned for.
>>
>> I'm sorry, David, but your comment doesn't make any sense to me in the
>> context of this conversation about how to handle ties in chair
> elections.
>
> See quoted comment above my response. You will eventually encounter
> someone who claims those powers, or simply refuses to leave a position
> when it's past time to go -- and is actively harming the organization.
> This organization (or any other, fwiw) is not immune to human nature.

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with election tiebreakers?

If you follow the entire thread, it should be fairly clear that I was not
saying "we don't have anyone who likes to claim power, so we don't need to
worry about it"; I was saying "the organization we are setting up has no
position which has ultimate power or responsibility, and so it does not
make sense to argue for a particular means of breaking ties based on the
principal that such a position does or must exist".

Now, if you have read Simon's latest draft and feel it does not have
adequate safeguards to prevent a power grab, feel free to start a new
thread on that topic.  But please don't hijack the thread about breaking
ties in chair elections, because we actually do need to reach a conclusion
on that question.

-- Jeff