[AFS3-std] Second Draft of Standardisation Document

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:01:06 -0400

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
> --On Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:27:55 AM -0400 Steven Jenkins
> <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> My suggestion is that the remaining chair breaks the tie.
>>
>> Yes, that leaves the decision in the hands of the remaining chair, but
>> it follows the principle of 'the buck stops here', and it also
>> reflects the responsibility in the hands of the chairs and the voters.
> That said, I don't have any objection to giving the returning chair a
> casting vote, as was suggested previously.  However, we must cover the
> situations in which there is no returning chair, including the bootstrapping
> case.

I suggest that if there is no returning chair, then the registrars
break the tie.

Note that with that in place, the bootstrapping process is adequately
covered in section 3.  I quote it here for convenience:

3.  Bootstrapping the Process

   Should the proposals in this document be accepted, we need to
   consider how to bootstrap the process.  I propose that once consensus
   has been reached on this document, we elect two chairs in the manner
   described above, with a start date to be determined.  The chair with
   the lower number of votes would serve a 1 year term, the chair with
   the higher number, 2 years as normal.

   The registrars would be initially comprised of the current registrar,
   plus a representative from each of the currently available AFS
   implementations (IBM, OpenAFS, kAFS and Arla)

ie, in the case of a tie in the boostrap case, you as the current
registrar, someone from IBM AFS or designee, someone from OpenAFS
(whomever the elders name as the designee), kAFS (David Howells or
designee) and Arla (Love? or designee) would break the tie.  Any of
you could choose to abstain, recuse yourselves, etc, but the group as
a whole would be responsible for breaking the tie in whatever manner
you (plural) see fit.  In the case, post-bootstrap, where there is no
chair to break the tie, the members of the registrars at that time
would break the tie.

Is that reasonable?

--
Steven Jenkins