[AFS3-std] Second Draft of Standardisation Document

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:17:54 -0400

--On Friday, August 29, 2008 03:01:06 PM -0400 Steven Jenkins
<steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
>> --On Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:27:55 AM -0400 Steven Jenkins
>> <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> My suggestion is that the remaining chair breaks the tie.
>>>
>>> Yes, that leaves the decision in the hands of the remaining chair, but
>>> it follows the principle of 'the buck stops here', and it also
>>> reflects the responsibility in the hands of the chairs and the voters.
>> That said, I don't have any objection to giving the returning chair a
>> casting vote, as was suggested previously.  However, we must cover the
>> situations in which there is no returning chair, including the
>> bootstrapping case.
>>

> I suggest that if there is no returning chair, then the registrars
> break the tie.

I think it is fine to designate the vote-taker(s) as breaking the tie in
the event there is no returning chair.

Separately, if we are going to give anyone a casting vote, we need to be
clear as to whether they also hold a normal vote.

> ie, in the case of a tie in the boostrap case, you as the current
> registrar, someone from IBM AFS or designee, someone from OpenAFS
> (whomever the elders name as the designee), kAFS (David Howells or
> designee) and Arla (Love? or designee) would break the tie.  Any of
> you could choose to abstain, recuse yourselves, etc, but the group as
> a whole would be responsible for breaking the tie in whatever manner
> you (plural) see fit.  In the case, post-bootstrap, where there is no
> chair to break the tie, the members of the registrars at that time
> would break the tie.
>
> Is that reasonable?

Yes, I think that works.

FWIW, I'm not sure who the other registrars will be, but I'm working on
finding out, in the hopes of having the process ready to go by the time the
document is adopted.

-- Jeff