[AFS3-std] Second Draft of Standardisation Document

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:23:47 -0400

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
>> ie, in the case of a tie in the boostrap case, you as the current
>> registrar, someone from IBM AFS or designee, someone from OpenAFS
>> (whomever the elders name as the designee), kAFS (David Howells or
>> designee) and Arla (Love? or designee) would break the tie.  Any of
>> you could choose to abstain, recuse yourselves, etc, but the group as
>> a whole would be responsible for breaking the tie in whatever manner
>> you (plural) see fit.  In the case, post-bootstrap, where there is no
>> chair to break the tie, the members of the registrars at that time
>> would break the tie.
>>
>> Is that reasonable?
>
> Yes, I think that works.
>
> FWIW, I'm not sure who the other registrars will be, but I'm working on
> finding out, in the hopes of having the process ready to go by the time the
> document is adopted.

Which brings up another good point: if there voting members
representing that community do not put forth a registrar, then we
should simply drop them from the registrar bootstrap list.

Note that this isn't try to exclude anyone, but it's just an
acknowledgement that implementation communities may not have the
resources to participate as registrars at this point, or they may be
perfectly comfortable with the existing set of registrars and feel
that adding a special representative is not needed at this time.

They are always welcome to participate at a later date in a way that
they have resources to do so, and they would go through the normal
process at that time.

--
Steven Jenkins
End Point Corporation