[AFS3-std] Re: [rfc-ise] AFS3: one more thought

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Tue, 03 May 2011 10:21:42 -0500

On 5/2/2011 9:26 PM, Nevil Brownlee wrote:

> Hi again Douglas:
>
> Taking another look at draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names-09,
> its Author Company is given as 'OpenAFS Project.' Could we use
> that in your "not an IETF standard" paragraph, instead of "AFS3-
> standardization group?"

The OpenAFS Project was started to host the AFS source code that
IBM released to the public, so it in effect represents a single
implementation of AFS. There have been others, some of which are
no longer active. OpenAFS is by far the most active, and largest
of the implementations, and most of the members of the AFS3 group
are active with OpenAFS, as is the author of the draft.

The main reason for forming this group was to step outside of the
OpenAFS project, so the protocol could be standardized is a
more open forum. So using "OpenAFS project" might not be the best
choice.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory