[AFS3-std] Re: [rfc-ise] AFS3 Standardization and Independent Submissions

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Tue, 03 May 2011 13:40:05 -0500

On 5/3/2011 1:04 PM, David Boyes wrote:
>> Nevil Browmlee has responded to our query about getting
>> our AFS3 documents published. I have responded with the note below,
>> but want input from the group:
>>
>>    Is the paragraph below OK?
>>
>>    Who could we get as independent reviewers of the documents?
>
> <grumble>  If they're OK with creating a WG to do this in Apps, then why aren't we doing that rather than inventing another special-case wheel? Seems like a waste of effort that could be more profitably used elsewhere.</grumble>

It is my understanding that in 2008 the IETF was not interested in having
AFS as a WG, and if it was to be WG, the WG wopuld need to write a full set
of AFS protocol documents before making changes. This would be an
"insurmountable problem" at this time.

> I have no problem with the paragraph. I don't know that the phrase "future publication not guaranteed" is what we want to hear, though. Sounds like they're making a special case of document #1, but not agreeing to proceed with future docs.

No its not what we want to hear, but getting the first document published
is what we want to hear.

> Re: independent reviewers: could we suggest that a min of 2 people not involved in the creation of the document would be the independent reviewers?

A already have on volenteer, who said:

"I believe that anyone on this list can be a reviewer for the IETF.
  You can submit my name and e-mail."

Do we have others?

I would like to send at least 3.

--