[AFS3-std] Finishing the core rxgk document

Nico Williams nico@cryptonector.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:27:55 -0500

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 06:09:45PM -0400, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2013, Nico Williams wrote:
> >>
> >>That might make for awkwardness in non-C implementations, but it
> >>would at least be something concrete and easy to write.  Hmm.
> >
> >Why?  You'd be specifically referencing only the major status numeric
> >code construction.
>
> The non-C library would be outputting its own version of the
> constants, so the implementation would need to translate between
> encodings (or check that they are interoperable).  That's a bunch of
> work, and not really necessary for the operation of the protocol.

Not necessarily.  If you send error tokens then no major status codes
are relevant, so you can limit yourself to three: complete, continue
needed, and generic failure.  Then you don't have to mention RFC2744,
just make sure that your numeric values agree with RFC2744's.

Nico