[reiserfs-list] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] more on the 2.2.18pre17 SMPcpu hog/etc.

Chris Mason mason@suse.com
Mon, 04 Dec 2000 15:45:25 -0500

On Monday, December 04, 2000 18:31:25 +0100 Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de> wrote:

>> Someone suggested caching dentries for all of the cache files.  While
>> this might be portable, it would result in huge numbers of dentries
>> being kept around basically all the time, which somehow doesn't strike
>> me as being a good idea.
>
> Alternative is to keep file names around. Keeping dentries or inodes is
> just a shortcut. With a suitable file system structure (not too big
> directories, multiple directories) even keeping file names and opening
> on demand should be no problem, because the directory cache in the kernel
> will cache the lookup for you.

I'd really like to see the name used as well, and have the kernel code just
reopen the file whenever it needs it.

If iget is the only way AFS is willing to go, we are already making code to
put an arbitrary amount of information into an NFS filehandle, I suspect
the best route would be to do the same for AFS.  AFS gets the file opened
in the kernel (somehow, doesn't matter), and then calls an FS specific
function to fill in data needed to iget the file later.

This won't be reiserfs specific since all the new filesystems are going to
need to agree on a way to deal with NFS too.

-chris