[reiserfs-list] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] more on the 2.2.18pre17 SMPcpu hog/etc.

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
04 Dec 2000 15:59:00 -0500

Chris Mason <mason@suse.com> writes:

> I'd really like to see the name used as well, and have the kernel code just
> reopen the file whenever it needs it.

Passing the name down is probably not something that would be
accepted.

> If iget is the only way AFS is willing to go, we are already making code to
> put an arbitrary amount of information into an NFS filehandle, I suspect
> the best route would be to do the same for AFS.  AFS gets the file opened
> in the kernel (somehow, doesn't matter), and then calls an FS specific
> function to fill in data needed to iget the file later.

Would there be an inode operation function to obtain this information?
If so, then I think this would work fine.  What I mean by generic is
'single interface' even if it means an implementation per-FS.  I have
no objections to something like this, and would be willing to help on
the AFS-side of things.

> This won't be reiserfs specific since all the new filesystems are going to
> need to agree on a way to deal with NFS too.

If the Linux VFS is planning to add a method like this, I would
certainly be happy to use it :)

> -chris

-derek