[reiserfs-list] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] more on the 2.2.18pre17 SMPcpu hog/etc.

Andi Kleen ak@suse.de
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 22:46:17 +0100

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 03:59:00PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > This won't be reiserfs specific since all the new filesystems are going to
> > need to agree on a way to deal with NFS too.
>
> If the Linux VFS is planning to add a method like this, I would
> certainly be happy to use it :)

There were plans to add a "key" interface, that would default to the current
nfsfh.c implementation and could be overwriten per file system. Unfortunately
it looks like it'll be 2.5 material now :-( That key would be somewhat larger
than even 64bits though, more like 32bytes. And at that size you could also
just pass a small filename in.

Also in the end the key would resolve to a dentry.

For 2.2 and 2.4 reiserfs was using some non standard hacks to add such
VFS interfaces for NFS, but it is not something that could be generally depended
on all reiserfs systems (it is dirty enough that it was not even be integrated
in the normal reiserfs patches)

-Andi (who thought that with AFS all that dirty NFS file handle business
would be gone, and now it is rising its ugly head again..)