[OpenAFS-devel] openafs cell and contrib area?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
13 Dec 2000 22:50:52 -0500

The point of shortcuts is only for local (user) convenience, and you
don't lose the global namespace.  For example, you could have
/afs/athena -> athena.mit.edu, /afs/sipb -> sipb.mit.edu, /afs/andrew
-> andrew.cmu.edu, etc.  The canonical namespace is still the same,
but local users can still have the convenience of short names.
Obviously, "pwd" would give the long name.

If you don't like shortcuts, you don't have to use them. :)

-derek

PS: Jim, how's disconnected ops coming along? ;)