[OpenAFS-devel] NT 4.0 Install without InstallShield5 help needed.

Michael Nelson mikenel@iapetus.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:42:43 -0500 (EST)

> Does anyone have, or knows where to get, a detailed list of changes
> needed to install an afs client on Windows NT 4.0?  Since I don't have a
> copy of InstallShield 5 and can't get one since InstallShield no longer
> sales that version, I have not been able to build the installation
> package.  I've been trying to use some freeware installation tools, but
> I need to get a more complete list of the necessary registry entries
> before I can finish. I've been trying to get the information in the
> InstallShield5 installation files, but I can't seem to locate all the
> necessary entries.

1) You need to install the AFS daemon service using something like sc.exe
from the NT resource kit. The service name must be "TransarcAFSDaemon"
(the various utilities that start+stop it depend on that name). The
service resides in c:\afs\vice\etc\afsd_service.exe.

2) The following registry settings (many of which were populated by
afs_config, but not all) work for me on Win2K. You can apply them with
regedit.exe (not regedt32.exe). There are some issues on Win2K that
require setting an alternate LANA ID.. You may wish to omit the LANA ID
before trying these settings.

-- snip --

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TransarcCorporation]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TransarcCorporation\AFS Client]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TransarcCorporation\AFS Client\AfsCreds]
"mycell"=dword:00000000
@=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TransarcCorporation\AFS
Client\CurrentVersion]
"Title"="AFS Client"
"VersionString"="3.6"
"PathName"="c:\\afs"
"MajorVersion"=dword:00000003
"MinorVersion"=dword:00000006
"PatchLevel"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\Parameters]
"Cell"="mycell"
"ShowTrayIcon"=dword:00000001
"MountRoot"="/afs"
"LANadapter"=dword:00000005