[OpenAFS-devel] support for enterprise kernel

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
20 Aug 2001 11:15:09 -0400

Thomas Mueller <thomas.mueller@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de> writes:

> The first patch is against src/libafs/MakefileProto.LINUX.in from the
> current CVS tree.

I see Sam's point.  I would suggest a slightly different change that
does NOT put 'EP' in the default list of build targets unless
configure specifically notices that you're sitting on a Red Hat
machine.

I have no problems with adding the makefile support to build the
libafs.ep file, and I have no problem with that actually being
included in the mainline.  But I agree with Sam that 'EP' should not
be included in MPS by default.

>  The second one is against openafs-1.1.1.spec from
> openafs-1.1.1-24.4.src.rpm.

The second patch is not quite sufficient, because we need to set
__BOOT_KERNEL_ENTERPRISE properly in the redhat-fix include file.  But
that's a simple change, relatively, to the SPEC file.

Also, Red Hat does not limit enterprise systems only to i686; I can
certainly see building an enterprise kernel for athlon.  At least the
supporting files seem to 'handle' an enterprise configuration on
non-i686 platforms.

> Hope you will find it useful,

Yes, it is definitely a start.  Thank you for the patches.

> Thomas.

-derek